extremely rare early lithograph from “the first book ever to be printed by lithographic techniques” (Man). It was printed in a small edition by G.J. Vollweiler at the Polyautographic Office, Fitzroy Square, with the title A Series of Antient Allegorical Historical and Legendary Paintings in Fresco, discovered in the summer of 1804 on the Walls of the Chapel of Trinity at Stratford upon Avon… G. and W. Nichols and T. Fisher, Hoxton, 1807. “The contribution of the antiquary Fisher (1772-1836) as a collector, draughtsman, and publicist of lithography has not been sufficiently appreciated” (Michael Twyman, Lithography, 1970, pp 30-32). See also Felix Man, Artists’ Lithographs, 1970, p.24, pl.24 (this print uncoloured).
polyautograph (pen and ink lithograph) in original hand-colouring, 350 x 230 mm. (13 ¾ x 9 in.), corner-mounted on blue paper album leaf, printed number XIV at top right, collector’s initials (?) JHR in ink at top centre, Drawn 1804 and Published April the 20th 1807 by Thos. Fisher Hoxton